"Prepare the child for the road, not the road for the child."
I first heard this quote when I was at college. My shorthand teacher gave a quote everyday. I read it and didn't think much of it at the time. But the next year I was teaching for my first year and I had some moms that, well lets just say that if I just had to deal just with the students that year it would have been a blast. The Lord brought this back to my mind a lot that year. I wrote it on the board for Parent-Teacher Conferences (they must have never read it) :) and said it often in my class. The Lord made me grow a lot that year.
The other day I was looking through my college things (as I often do), and came across it again. This time not as a student, not as a teacher, but as a mother. And I thought "am I doing the best job of raising my children for the road that God has prepared for them." As I teacher I focused mainly on the academic part of this quote but as a mother I see more sides of it. We can not do everything for our children. Although yes it would make our life a lot easier. But how are they supposed to learn unless we teach them? Am I preparing my child for the road. They will have it a lot harder growing up in this "devil controlled" world than I ever did. Am I preparing them for the things that will come up. Am I preparing myself.
This is just something that the Lord has been laying on my heart lately in a number of different ways and I pray that to whomever reads this post it will encourage you to, (whether your own or other's children) "prepare the children for the road." So that we may have a generation of children that are strong in the Lord and lean on Him in all they troubles.
{Love is Worth the Risk}
11 years ago

4 comments:
Great thoughts, Melis. Thanks for sharing them--and I know what you mean about dealing with parents. ;)
What a wonderful reminder!!! You put the concept so simply, but we parents know how difficult it is to live out! I think I'm going to copy and print your post and put it in a book and read it once a week! We get so caught up in just getting through the day sometimes that we forget that we are supposed to be teaching and training them to live on their own! Again, thank you for sharing this!
Thank you Ruth and Janelle for your nice comments. Yes, Janelle sometimes I look back over the week and think did I do anything to help the girls better their life,did I make memories? or was it all routines.
Great food for thought!! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
Post a Comment