Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Candy Making (attempt at)

Every year I try to get into the Christmas spirit by baking cookies and fudge and all the wonderful things you indulge in at Christmas time. Why I am not sure, Tabor does not like to eat things like that and I eat a piece or two but not a bunch so I usually try to give it away or something.
So Friday we were to head to Billings for an overnight Christmas party with Tabor's office. I had a little time so I thought I would whip up the cherry mash and send some to my brother (the only person that will eat it with me) I made the cherry part of it and then looked at the clock, oops time to get the girls up to Grandma and Grandpa's house then run to pick up Tabor. So I put it in the fridge to cool finished getting everything and everyone ready to go. I put the girls in the car and came back in to put the chocolate on top. Then I left it on the counter to cool.
When we returned on Saturday I was excited to take a bite of the yummy fudge. I went to cut into it, when I noticed that the cherry part of the fudge was still soup. (I am going to master this fudge one day. Every year something goes wrong with it. But I know longer have cherry chips and they don't carry them around here so I need to find them before I can master it.)
So last night I decided I would make "Easy Turtle Fudge" everything was going great I went to top it with carmel topping and I read the directions again. It read "drizzle with carmel or top with carmel" Well there was plenty of carmel so I decided to top with carmel. I let it cool and came back to cut it, the carmel just stretched and stretched and the pecans fell off of every piece. Leaving me to believe I should just stick with pies and cakes it is not the year for me to make candy.
I did however make "Butterscotch Rocky Road" which did turn out. So I guess I can't say that everything was a complete failure.
So to my brother I am sorry but I won't be sending you any cherry mash unless I can find the cherry chips and then I will attempt to master it again.
Thank you for listening to me babel about my Kitchen Candy Woes!
Here is the recipe to "Easy Carmel Fudge" you can try it and let me know if it is any good.

1 package of semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp salt
30 Caramel candies
1 TBS. water
40 pecan halves

1.Grease 11x7 pan set aside
2. Melt chips in heavy saucepan over very low heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in bitterswert chocolate until melted. Stir in condensed milk and salt until smooth.
3. Spread in prepared pan, refrigerate until firm
4. Cut fudge into squares. Transfer to baking sheet lined with wax paper.
5. Melt carmels and water in sauce pan. Drizzle or top with fudge with carmel mixture. Place 1 peacan half on each piece.

That is what I did wrong I didn't cut the fudge before I topped it with the carmel oops! Hope it turns out for anyone who makes it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, you just keep practicing, and if you need anyone to test your products give ole dad a call, ok? love you

Janelle said...

Can't imagine fudge ending up like that, even though I'm no expert on that subject by any means! I DO know that your pies are to die for so like Papa said, maybe with some practice they'll be just as good!

This past Friday I baked all day long. I had a cookie party to go to and they wanted a dozen of two different kinds of cookies. I made Candy Cane Cookies, which are actually really hard to make and time consuming, Chocolate Cherry Fudge, Chocolate Truffle Pie, and a Mint Ice Cream Dessert with Hot Fudge on top. I didn't get to taste the Truffle Pie so I'm not sure how it turned out. The Mint Ice Cream Dessert is ALWAYS a hit and so very easy. I did taste the Chocolate Cherry Fudge and it is VERY rich - a little goes a long way! And Aaron was my taste tester for the Candy Cane Cookies and he wasn't complaining so they must have been OK (more to come on that story on my blog, hopefully)! I doubt I'll be doing any more baking, but we'll see.

ruth said...

Hey, Melis, what's cherry mash? I've never heard of it.

BTW, we're going to be in Wyoming for Christmas. I think we might try to take a day and come to Cody for a visit. I'll give you a call.